Friday, 2 December 2011
You can search for books and other items in our libraries, as well as electronic and digital material, all from one place.
Log in using your University login and password for direct access to full text where it is available and other features such as saved searches.
Use the ‘University Collections’ tab for electronic and print books, journals, maps, theses, databases and more.
Use the ‘Articles and more’ tab for journal articles from multiple databases using the Quick Set for your department.
For full database functionality such as personalisation, use the native search interface.
So check it out and tell us what you think. We’d love your feedback to help us develop the service so please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments. And don’t worry, Star won’t be going anywhere just yet.
Friday, 25 November 2011
This edition includes a spotlight on Oxford Language Dictionaries online, information about a new online tutorial offering help on writing a literature review and the Library's new catalogue - StarPlus:
Wednesday, 26 October 2011
Great News! I have managed to obtain Oxford Language Dictionaries Online for you all. The modules we have cover French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian and Chinese, so this should prove invaluable to everyone in SOMLAL & MLTC. The dictionaries are updated twice a year to ensure the latest words and meanings are there. A great help for translation and language learning.
Other features include:
- Contextualized language reference help - including notes on culture and guidance on grammar, vocabulary and idiomatic usage
- Pronunciation software and audio recordings
For a guided tour go to www.oxfordlanguagedictionaries.com/tour
See you soon, Clare
Monday, 17 October 2011
If you didn’t manage to attend a Library induction session here are a few tips to help you get started. Many Library services are available online from the Library tab in MUSE. Log onto MUSE using your username and password to:
- Find recommended reading for a module. Start with myResource Lists. Here you’ll find direct links to books in the library, full text journal articles and web sites - all just one click away!
- Search Star, the Library catalogue. Star is the best place to start when searching for course materials. From Star you can find out if the resource you want is available in print or electronically – click show copy/show library holdings.
- Access electronic resources such as ebooks, subject databases and ejournals - look under Library eResources.
- View subject specific guides. The subject guides provide advice on material that might be useful in your subject area.
- View tutorials and quizzes that will help you to develop your information skills. The Information Skills Resource is available as a link from the Library tab in MUSE. Check out the Information Skills tutorials tab. More detailed guides tailored to your subject are available through the Tutorials by department tab.
Ask us for help at any time. Post your comments here, or send us a tweet.
Friday, 16 September 2011
Intro week (19 September - 25 September 2011)
|Collaboratory 1||Monday- Friday||11.00|
Week 1 (26 September - 30 September 2011)
Thursday, 7 July 2011
The work will start on Monday 11 July and last for approximately 10 weeks. During this time, there will be some disruption but the stock will still be accessible. The Library catalogue will be amended as the work progresses but it is advisable to ask staff to help you locate this material during this period.
Friday, 27 May 2011
Wednesday, 11 May 2011
- Western Bank Library will open at 8:30-24:00 Monday to Thursday, 8:30-21:00 Friday, 10:00-18:00 Saturday and 10:00-24:00 Sunday, between Sunday 15th May and Friday 10th June.
- St George’s Library will open from 10:00 to 18:00 at weekends between Saturday 14th May and Sunday 12th June.
Thursday, 14 April 2011
A number of group study spaces are now available to book at Western Bank Library. Located on Level 4 each space can be booked up to 2 days in advance using the PC and Room Booking facility in MUSE. There are no computers available within the study spaces but power and network points are available for laptops.
The spaces are available to book during the following times:
Monday to Friday 09.00 – 19.00
Saturday to Sunday 10.00 - 18.00
For help on booking a group study space or a PC click here
Monday, 28 March 2011
The SCONUL Access scheme allows staff, research students, full time postgraduates and part time, distance learning and placement students to borrow material held in other higher education libraries.
Full-time undergraduate students can access material on a reference only basis.
The SCONUL Access website will give you more information on the options available to undergraduate and postgraduate students. You can also check which libraries participate in the scheme.
This may be particularly useful if you are travelling home for the Easter vacation.
To join the scheme you will need to apply for a SCONUL Access card from your home library - The University of Sheffield Library. Take a look at the Library web pages to find out more.
Thursday, 17 February 2011
Wednesday, 9 February 2011
- historical musicology
- instruments and voice
- performance practice and notation
- theory and analysis
- criticism and music therapy
RILM is available to view via the Library tab in MUSE. Under 'Library eResources' click the link 'Access the Library's subject databases' and use the A-Z table to search for RILM.
You may also want to look at RIPM - Retrospective Index Music Periodical. We currently have trial access to this index which provides access to Eighteenth, Nineteenth and Twentieth century music literature.
This trial will be available to registered staff and students of the University of Sheffield until 4th March and we would welcome your feedback. Follow the link above and click on the 'Access arrangements' link in the Quick links box for further details. You may be prompted to log into MUSE.
Friday, 7 January 2011
|Opening hours||Staffed service|
|Monday - Thursday||09:00 - 00:00||09:00 - 19:00|
|Friday||09:00 - 21:00||10:00 - 19:00|
|Saturday||10:00 - 18:00||12:00 - 18:00|
|Sunday||10:00 - 00:00||12:00 - 18:00|
Tuesday, 4 January 2011
The War Illustrated 1914-1919
The War Illustrated 1939-1947
War Weekly 3rd November 1939-5th August,1941
They describe and comment on events at home and the wider world. There are plenty of illustrations and so have a very visual approach to the subject matter.
I know that the departments of Journalism and History have both expressed an interest in this collection, so I am delighted to let you know that this collection is now available.
For more information please check Special Collections webpages here: